history

The History of TMH

How we came to be who we are today

The original hospital on Tucker Street, built in 1949. This site is now home to TMH Medical Clinic.

In 1946 a group of concerned Craig citizens banded together in an effort to build a local hospital through fundraising and a Hill-Burton grant. They were successful, and The Memorial Hospital on Tucker Street was dedicated in November, 1949. In 1952 the hospital was deeded to the citizens of Moffat County, making it a county-owned hospital.

Through the years the facility was added to in square footage as well as services. It became apparent that the facility was no longer workable as a hospital. The idea of building a new hospital was put up to vote with Moffat County residents in 2007. They voted in support of the hospital, and a new hospital was built at 750 Hospital Loop being dedicated November 9, 2009. The “old” hospital became The Memorial Hospital Medical Clinic housing hospital employed physicians and traveling specialists.